Thursday, December 29, 2005

Charlie Rogers


Dec 28, 1895 was the birthday of Charlie Rogers. Charlie was a longtmie resident of Denver, Colorado, so when we moved to Denver in 1980, we got to know he and Aunt Pearl. The stories I could post here!
Well, we had Charlie and Pearl out for Easter dinner the first year we were home. My sister and I were back in my room playing a game or somethnig and Charlie came back and found us. He handed each of us a $20 bill and said, "You keep that. Don't tell your Aunt Pearl." We weren't used to being handed $20 bills and slipped them back in his shoes. Grandma Shelton, Charlie's sister, said, "You should have kept it. He wouldn't have given it to you if he didn't want you to have it." Well, Charlie and Pearl came again at Thanksgiving and again he gave me a sawbuck. This time I kept it.
This is the last picture taken of Charlie alive. It was taken at Christmastime 1981. He died Feb 28, 1982.

No comments: