Friday, February 16, 2007

2 Obituaries from 1875






Sometimes to pass the time out at Camp David I will drive into Fairfield and read through some old newspapers on microfilm (yeah, I lead a really exciting life!). Here are two obituaries I copied from the Wayne County Press. The first is from June of that year and annouces the death of Palestine Rogers (Oct 21, 1821 - May 27, 1875). If you have done any researcdh on the Rogers clan I know you will recognize this name. There were actually (at least) two Palestine Rogers'. The first, who's obit we see here, is the brother of my great-great-grandfather, Milton Rogers. Milton also named his first born son after his brother, but the infant onlhy lived for a month and four days (Mar 1 1862 - Apr 5, 1862). Both Palestine Rogers are buried at the Brown Cem.

These next two photos are the tombstones of both Palestine Rogers. The Milton and Margaret Rogers framily lost several children that were all buried in the same row. The small sandstone markers had fallen over after many years and Aunt Clara had them re-set, back int he 1940s . Some of the inscription is buried in the concrete.
I have been talking recently with a couple of Palestines great-great grandaughters. Hope they enjoy this post! : )


The next obituary is from November, 1875. It is my great-great-great grandmother, Amanda (Chaney) Bunnell - pictured below. She was married to Seneca Bunnell. Both Amanda and Senceca were born in Butler Co., OH. They and their families moved to Clinton County, IN, where the couple was married. The Bunnell and Chaney families relocated from Clinton County to Clay County, IL in about 1853. Seneca and Amanda lived on the same property that my Granddad and Grandma Smith occupied from 1942 - 2003. Amanda died at the age of 44. She and her husband's gravesite has reamained a mystery for years. I asked many, many older relatives, but none of them ever knew the location of the grave. This past week, I was looking at some Wayne County death registrations and came across that of Seneca Bunnell. It listed his place of burial as the Selby Cemetery. Eureka! ha ha! Well, I had never heard of the cemetery. Seneca and Amanda lived in the Indian Prairie area of Wayne County. After looking at Doris Bland's series of books on the cemeteries of Wayne County, I learned that there is one cemetery in Wayne County (no longer in use) that she listed as un- named. Could this be the Selby Cemetery? It was bitter cold the day I learned this info and there was only a very vague map showing the location of the cemetery. It is somewhere between Johnsonville and the Blue Mound Road, about a mile or so north side of 161. My uncle Bob lives in that area - I am will check with him and see what he knows about that cemetery - more on this in the next week.

No comments: